Author Topic: R-PAGE a free framework for adventure games  (Read 414 times)

Offline Astrofra

R-PAGE a free framework for adventure games
« on: June 27, 2019, 12:37:16 AM »
Hello folks,

while working on the Amiga port of an ongoing ATARI ST gamedev, I though it could be worthwhile to share one of the components of this project: a framework of my own that I started to accelerate the creation of an adventure game for the Amiga.

R-PAGE stands for "RESISTANCE Portable Amiga Game Engine".

As you might guess it, this is quite a niche market. The type of games I had in mind while working on the API where:
  • Maupiti Island
  • Explora (aka "Chrono Quest" outside France)
  • Black Sect

While these game have in a common a very specific look & feel, the current state of the framework is far more low-level. The main aspect of R-PAGE is that it is 100% based on top of the graphics.library, especially the version that ships with a vanilla Amiga 500.
The advantage of this technical choice is the ability of the code to work on any Amiga, even a NG model (incl. MorphOS or AOS4).
The main drawback is that the code remains slow, overall, especially on an unaccelerated Amiga 500.

The API behind clean & simple, however, there's nothing that prevents the OS-Friendly code to be replaced by a set of more "close to metal" routines.

At the moment, the state of the code base is super WIP, but it is evolving rapidly. Hence I decided to share it on github, under the MIT license.

To give you an idea of what a game based on R-PAGE looks like, I made a series of quick screen captures :

"Look item"

"Navigate"

"Talk to"

(The graphics above remains the property of www.safargames.fr)

Finally, here is the URL of the Github repo :
https://github.com/ResistanceVault/rpage

I'm open to any question, comments of critics. Please shoot! :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 12:50:35 AM by Astrofra »

Offline Astrofra

Re: R-PAGE a free framework for adventure games
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 12:47:37 AM »
Roadmap

• Make R-PAGE a submodule of my current game development (it is not at the moment so I need to manually update this repo, not good)
  • Improved the DOXYGEN documentation
  • Properly document what needs to be
  • Bulletproof the LZ decoder (Doynamite needs some love)
  • Include the image/file encoder (Python based)
  • Complete the Win32/SDL2 version so that my game can, at least, work on a PeeeCeee
  • Move more of my game-code into the framework, to provide a higher level API
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 10:00:52 AM by Astrofra »

Offline kriz

Re: R-PAGE a free framework for adventure games
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 10:09:12 AM »
Ahh very nice stuff, engine seems very cool, love those kind of games :)